What You Should Do If Your Hearing Aid Gets Wet
If not treated in the right way, hearing aids can be easily damaged by liquids. Water is corrosive and may interfere with the electrical circuit that actuates the internal components of the hearing aid and cause it to stop functioning, especially if you do not take the necessary measures to dry it afterwards.
That does not mean you should stay away from water in general - as long as there is no direct contact between the hearing aid and the water the device is safe. If you happen to be caught in the rain wearing your hearing aid, it is best to remove it and put it in a protective case. If that is not possible, then you should make sure that your head stays dry so no moisture can reach the hearing aid.
If a few drops of water accidentally find their way on the casing of the hearing aid, you should wipe them away carefully with a dry cloth or soft tissue. In cases you have to wear your hearing aid in places where there is a risk of moisture you can resort to one of the following:
- Have an extra set of water-resistant hearing aids if you need to participate in activities that may dampen your hearing aid.
- Use a protective wrapping for your hearing aids.
If your hearing aid gets thoroughly wet, you can consider some of the proposed solutions:
- Use a dehumidifier for hearing aids during the night when you do not wear them. There are plenty of types available and you can ask your audiologist to recommend you some if you are unsure which one to choose. Popular devices are Amplicomms Dry Boxes and the Dry & Store to remove moisture.
- Open the battery door, take out the battery and leave it to dry naturally. You can use a soft tissue to absorb visible moisture.
- Turn to your audiologist for advice or take the hearing aid to a specialist as soon as you can to prevent further or irreversible damage.
Under no conditions use a hair dryer or put your hearing aid in a microwave or an oven.