Tiling Essentials from Topps Tiles
Thinking of doing a spot of tiling? Be prepared with our guide to everything you'll need to get the job done - and keep it looking great.
Preparing your tiles
- Tiles! Take a look at our fantastic selection of tiles for floors and walls.
- Measuring tape - to ensure you buy the right number of tiles and to ensure they fit the area you're tiling.
- Tile markers - the ones here are perfect for marking where to cut glazed tiles.
- Tile cutters - choose your tile cutter depending on the scale of the job, and use it to trim down and shape tiles to suit the space.
- Nippers - allow you to cut or shape tiles to an irregular shape to fit awkward areas. Take a look here.
Laying your tiles
- Grout - to seal the joins between the tiles and stop moisture getting behind them. Choose the formula to suit your tiles.
- Cement backing board - this creates the perfect base for walls and floors, providing extra protection for your wall and a superior surface for your tile to bond to. The Hardiebacker version here is the strongest on the market.
- Primer - You can use primer to prepare the backing boards, creating an even surface to tile on.
- Tile adhesive - to fix the tiles in place. Choose the formula to suit your tiles.
- A notched trowel, trowel and float - to help your spread your grout thinly and evenly.
- If you are tiling a wet room, you'll need special products including waterproof wall and floor matting and waterproof tile adhesive, which you can find here.
For a perfect finish
- Levelling tools - to ensure an even finish.
- Spacers and wedges - create a professional finish by ensuring all tiles have an even space all around. Find them here.
- Grouting sponge - to clean up grouting during tiling, without scratching your tiles.
- Protective apparel - whether it’s a big or small job, ensure injury doesn't delay the project by investing in gloves, knee pads, a mask and safety glasses. You may also consider ear plugs if you're using loud tools. You'll find all of these things here.
Maintaining the look
- Protectors and finishing products - grout and surface protector products can be used on your tiled surface to protect against stains and water absorption.
- Cleaners - choose the cleaning product to suit your tiles and their finish to keep the tiled area looking great.